Thursday, January 17, 2008

Splitcoaststampers Thursday challenge is to use embossing powder, so this is the card I posted in my gallery there. I made it for a friend's 58th birthday, so the outside reads "Party Like It's 1858" (since Minnesota is celebrating 150 years as a state this year!). The lower right says "Or..." and inside reads "Party like you're 58!" I used colored pencils on the American Gothic stamp to give it a faded photograph look (although a photo from that era would have been in black and white or sepia). The trellis stamp is done in gold embossing powder. EP is magical. It's a powder that sticks to a freshly stamped image. After tapping off the excess, a heat gun is used to melt the powder until it becomes shiny...and voila! - a raised or embossed image. It comes in all colors and metallics and glitters. I've even tried to emboss print from my PC, and it works. That's a case for not wanting the print to dry too quickly.
I was gone all day yesterday getting some car maintenance done. My 1992 Grand Am has over 187,000 miles on it and will hopefully reach 200,000 if the body stays intact (you know those MN winters and road salt). The temps for the next few days here are going to hover around zero F, so I wanted to make sure my car would start even after being left outside all night (the garage situation is another story).

No comments: