Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Valentines have to be in the mail tomorrow and I'm not half done, but I broke with tradition and designed several individual cards instead of the usual one-for-all. I may have to do the rest in one style. This card was made for three different challenges at SCS - the sketch, 'faux postage' (a technique), and making a Valentine with NO red or pink or hearts or flowers! I guess that last one wasn't too hard since I'd been waiting to use these typewriter letters for a certain writer in the family. It would have been for her birthday, but I think she'll like this version. The faux postage uses a template with just the postage amount printed on cardstock. Then a clear plastic or acrylic sheet is cut with windows and used to mask an area to be stamped. My rubber stamps were already postage-style, so they were perfect, but any stamp will work when you think of all the themes the Post Office has issued. The type was punched out of a gift bag I bought at Hallmark. For some reason I couldn't find a 'V' in the stack, so I printed that letter on my PC and stuck it over another letter, but the rest all came that way - black & white with silver embossed edges. I sponged all the paper edges with a brown distress ink and cut the postage out with decorative scissors. You can see by the shadow that it's raised up on foam tape. Think she'll like it?

7 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

I think she'll love it....I know I would! Love the keys, the untraditional color combo and the overall feel of the card....great!!!

AZstampcrazy said...

This is beautiful Cheryl, love the nontradtional look and the faux postage. Glad to see you have a blog. I have somewhat dropped out of the swaps for a while and lost touch with many of you. Take Care!

Godelieve said...

Stunning card! I love faux postage, these look fabulous!

Nardi said...

I love breaking from tradition and think you have done a fab job of it!

Lastel said...

This is awesome , great job !

Tania said...

Faboulus card! Love the travel-feeling for your valentine... makes me dream...

Daz said...

Stunning! I love the non-traditional colors in this. This looks great! tfs