Thursday, August 07, 2008

Part 2 - Duluth. It wasn't until I was an adult, having lived my whole life in one state, that I 'discovered' that we Minnesotans have our own version of the ocean close by. I had been to Duluth several times growing up, but I had also been to both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans on family vacations and I always thought that was the one thing missing from the midwest. Then, one day I suddenly realized how like an ocean Lake Superior really is. C and I actually drove all around it several years ago and saw water the color of the Caribbean.

So, there's a place to see ships and lighthouses and lift-bridges. The top photo is a coast Guard ship. The left photo is an anchored tanker that's open for tours.


Even the pedestrian bridge is a lift-bridge! If it's up, you can always walk a couple blocks around the tanker to get back to the other side.






C stopped along the boardwalk to read the Lake Superior stats. I know it's the largest fresh-water lake in the world by surface area (not by total volume). See the lighthouses in the background.



Here's the lift-bridge going up. In the forground is a little gift shop made from the pilot house of a boat (I think that's what it is! :) )


1 comment:

Danyelle Kessler said...

WOW! THAT IS BEAUTIFUL SURROUNDINGS. If I lived there, I would never move.