Monday, September 15, 2008

Eero Saarinen Party. Friday night, C and I attended another Walker Art Center preview party. As someone who studied architecture and interior design, I'm glad I didn't miss this one. The designs of Eero Saarinen were on display, a one-hour film on the building of the St.Louis Gateway Arch was shown, and there was an art lab project to participate in.

The photo on the right is the hallway leading to one of the buffet tables and cash bars. Since Target was the sponsor, their logo could be seen in a light installation, and moving across the walls and ceiling.


Outside on the roof, I got this shot with the church across the street nicely contrasting with the structure-like sculpture that is part of the Walker's permanent collection.

My contribution to the scaled-down city was the collection of little wood houses with button-windows. I made as many as I could with the wood scraps provided. If you look closely, you'll see the glue wasn't even dry when I took the photo. The orange duct taped structure and the windmill shape were made by other party-goers.







Saarinen's furniture designs were on display in the Walker's gift shop windows. These designs date to the 1940s and '50s - the very definition of classic!


























2 comments:

Danyelle Kessler said...

OMGosh, that second one looks like Johnny Carson might have sat in it.

Liz said...

Oooh.. LOVE the furniture.