Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Morning

Up early, I waited until the sun crept into position behind this giant fir tree. I was standing on my front steps to take this photo. This is same view from inside. I can't believe the pile of snow that has perched on these bushes through windy and melting days. It's a better gauge of our snowfall than that on the ground, since the latter has been shoveled and trod upon.

After taking these pictures, I headed out to a movie ("Seven Pounds" - excellent!), then home to change clothes, finish a couple cards, make a little altered tin (and upload it to my SCS gallery) and leave to pick up Mom. Our family gathering at Paul and Ann's included 9 adults, 16 children, a variety of tasty foods, the gift exchange, and musical entertainment by the young cousins. I played pool with TL (thanks, TL!). He did very well and I recalled spending my youth in a poolhall. Just joking! Mom used to be on a bowling league when my brothers and I were kids, and we learned how to play billiards while she was bowling. I claim no talent in that area, but I started to regain a feel for it after 2 games.

Time flew by - after bringing Mom home, it was almost 11:00 as I was driving into my neighborhood, and all of a sudden, the familiar jingle bells of Axel's "The Night Before Christmas" came on the radio. What a thrill! Although we had the "45" of it to listen to every year, and copies on tape, hearing it on the radio after many many years made me a little teary-eyed. I guess it just brings back wonderful memories of Christmases past when I was the child, Dad was still alive, and falling asleep on the way home from the Christmas Eve get-together was possibly the best part of the day.
I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas, however it was spent.

No comments: