Saturday, May 30, 2009

Neighborhood Sculpture

What a beautiful morning! The temperature was just right and the breeze was beckoning me to go for a walk. So, I walked around Lake Harriet and through the neighborhood just above the east shore. I don't remember these sculptures from last year, but the spheres don't look new. The black metal forms a modern trellis over the front walk.
Reminds me of the song "Aquarius"..."when Jupiter aligns with Mars..."

Closer to home, these are some of my favorite flowers - alliums. They grow 3 feet tall and turn to silver in the fall.

My own poppies are stunning this year! This probably looks like the same picture I took last year, but I couldn't resist.

Back at home, I whipped out this card based on two SCS challenges - using buttons, and taking inspiration from a book cover. I'm reading "The First Eagle" by Tony Hillerman, set in the Four Corners area of the southwest U.S., so I decided to use the cover as a starting point. The black paper was cut with a Martha Stewart edge punch. I was trying to cut a simple pinked edge when I remembered this punch that looks very "southwestern", and the dots match the buttons as a bonus! The sentiment is stamped from a set of word rubber stamps, maker unknown.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful! Did I tell you that walking around Lake H was my choice of activity for Mother's Day? I don't get there very often these days...you are blessed to live so close! What a fun card, too.

Danyelle Kessler said...

Nice interpretation on the button card. The colors really pop on the dark background