Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer Reading

It's been a good summer for reading, and not just because it's been cooler than normal. Since my car broke down in April, I've been taking the bus to work and everywhere else, and I've been catching up on my reading while I ride. Although I don't consider myself a fast reader, I've been breezing through 3 books a month! The book I'm currently reading is pictured - "The Fly on the Wall" by Tony Hillerman. I read a couple of his books back in 1995 after I'd been spent a week driving around Arizona and Utah with a girlfriend. Those books - "Coyote Waits" and "Sacred Clowns" - were part of his series set in the desert and mesas of Navajo country. The heros of that series are police detectives, Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn.

This summer, I've read "Dance Hall of the Dead", "Listening Woman", "First Eagle", and "The Sinister Pig", all from my own home library. In trying to read the rest of his books in chronological order, I found this book and discovered it is not part of his western series, but is instead about a newspaper reporter and is set in Minnesota! The picture on the cover shows a fictitious capitol building near a river (I've just started the book, so I don't know if the river is named).

I will temporarily miss Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee, but I will really miss Tony Hillerman. In my internet search to find more book titles, I read that he died just this past October at the age of 83. He served in WWII, became a journalist, and and wrote almost 40 books.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Thanks for the book info, I'm always on the hunt for something new to read!