Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wild (Urban) Kingdom

Last week was a rainy one, complete with tornado warnings and a several touchdowns that caused a fair amount of damage, but no injuries! So, the weekend was all the more beautiful by contrast, and I spent quite a few hours outside doing yardwork.


This large (maybe 4-inch wingspan) dragonfly let me take a few photos before flitting off.

Here's a surprise - a red fox sighting behind the Edina Target store! I was walking down the path when I spotted him crossing a dozen yards ahead of me. Two teens on bikes stopped to let him pass! Nobody got too close, but he didn't seem afraid of us. In fact, he sat down on the path in front of the boys to lick himself before proceeding on.

I zoomed in for a couple shots, and cropped them as well to see more detail. The bottom photo was left as-is to give you an idea how close I really was to my first red-fox-in-the-city sighting. As I walked on, I had a feeling I should call Animal Control because the fox was heading deeper into busy, trafficked areas and in danger of being hit by a car. A little while later, I saw an Animal Control vehicle headed in the right direction, so I don't think that was a coincidence. I'm just telling everyone: if you hear of a red fox being hit by a car or hurt in any way, don't tell me about it. I can't even bear to see animals fake-hurt in movies!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow - a fox! One with good taste, headed for the Galleria. Great photographers always have their cameras handy...I bet the local paper would be interested in your photos! Good job!

cheryl (clee') said...

I love having my pocket-sized camera with me at all times, except that it doesn't have the zoom I'd like. Good idea about the paper - I wonder if anyone else saw the fox and sent it to an Edina paper?