Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Ides of March

Since I am not Caesar, I almost forgot that this was March 15th. For the rest of us, that means one month until tax day, 2 days until St Patrick's day, 5 days until the first day of Spring, and (this year) a day after the first day of Daylight Savings Time. Did you miss your extra hour? Or were you too busy enjoying the WARM weather? My thermometer read 63 in the shade after 6PM! I FELT the sun on my face as I was walking around Centennial Lakes earlier that day; I always say it's not really Spring until you can FEEL the warmth. Most of the main snowfall from last December is finally gone and sidewalks are safe to walk on again.

This is what I posted last year:

Since we studied the play, Julius Caesar, in high school, I've always been aware of the term "beware the Ides of March". The Ides of March is the name for the date March 15th on the Roman calendar. The term ides was used for the 15th day of the months of March, May, July, and October, and the 13th day of the other eight months. In Roman times, the Ides of March was a festive day dedicated to the god Mars and a military parade was usually held. In modern times, the term Ides of March is best known as the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44 BC.

I still remember the passage I had to memorize from the play:

Cowards die many times before their deaths

The valiant never taste of death but once

Of all the wonders I yet have heard

It seems to me most strange that men should fear

Seeing that death, a necessary end,

Will come when it will come

No comments: