Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesdays Around Town - Ivy Tower

My after-work walk today took me to a building I've been wanting to photograph for a very long time. The Ivy Tower stood empty and neglected for years near the Convention Center before being restored as a spa and restaurant attached to condos and a hotel.
The setting reminds me a little of a book I read as a child about a country house that survived progress to find itself one day surrounded by the city. [Edit: Cousin L left a comment reminding me the name of that book was "The Little House" by Virginia Lee Burton". Thanks, L]

1930 was the original building date and the refurbishing was completed in 2008.

I stopped in at Porter and Frye, the restaurant/bar on the ground floor, to take some interior shots. The historic designation prevented any change to the structure, but the bar and fixtures are all new.

Although I never took any photos of the building when it was standing alone, a painting in the lower level captures the feeling fancifully.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

I like seeing old buildings fixed up; it's fascinating to think of their history. I still remember the huge, dark, eerie statue (I think it's Poseidon?) inside the courthouse downtown where my Dad worked, before transferring into the new government center!
We have that book , THE LITTLE HOUSE, by Virginia Lee Burton, that you referred to -- I like it too!

cheryl (clee') said...

Thanks for the comment, Lisa. The Little House - yes, I have a new copy of that book and couldn't remember the name of it.