Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Tuesdays Around Town - Brackett Park

Here's a blast from the past, at least for me and my brothers. Our Grandpa R used to live close to this park and we would walk less than a block from his house through a tunnel under the train tracks to get there.

There was a child's shallow pool where we would practice holding our breath while swimming underwater. But the rocket was the main attraction - a '60s version of a jungle gym. It was firmly secured to the ground, sans wires, when we were kids.

The pool is gone and the rocket was scheduled for removal, but neighborhood sentiment led to the rocket being turned into a sculpture instead. The streaming wires and the way the spaceship is tilted work well to give a sense of movement. I guess nothing lasts forever and it would have been fun to climb to the top one more time (if I could still fit!), but at least a memory has been preserved for a few more generations.

1 comment:

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

Oh how fun! Great photos!! Looks like a really nice zoo. I like the murals they have painted on the walls of the exhibits -- that's a nice touch. Thanks for dropping me a note, too! I wouldn't have wanted to miss your photos! -Anna.