Friday, August 24, 2012

The Great Minnesota Get-Together

I went to the Minnesota State Fair today.  The last few years I have gone with other people and and the weather was too nice to do much inside browsing, so this year my goal was to just see the Fine Arts Building and eat my favorite Fair foods.  On the way to catch the bus in my own neighborhood, I passed an auto repair shop displaying this fabulous car in the window.  The sign reads: "1955 Ford Thunderbird Original Walt Disney Company Car".  I swoon!  Many of you know my first car was a '65 teal Thunderbird that I bought from my dad.  That era of T-bird was and always will be my favorite car.


When I finally arrived at the Fairgrounds after a bit of a bus delay, I went straight to the north end, which is usually comparatively uncrowded.  This mini obstacle course put on by The Boy Scouts is a new activity for kids.  They wear helmets and harnesses, so it looks safe AND fun.


Nearby was the Luminarium with some sort of light show inside.  This is something new at the Fair.  I didn't want to wait in line to see it, so I hope they will bring it back again.  


But the outside is a cool inflated sculpture in itself.


I did a quick pass through the Ecology Building and saw this curtain of plastic bottles.  Can't remember the last time I threw one of these in the regular trash, but I guess too many people still do.


After eating my Pronto Pup, I headed over to the Fine Arts Building.  This wood sculpture was astonishing!  Click on the photo for a better view.  There is even a man carved inside the cabin window on the right.


Not sure what the medium was in the painting below (acrylic paint, maybe), but it was thick and glowing!


A stained glass mosaic...


A certain car nut will appreciate this sculpture painted with automotive paint...

...it was painted several colors but also seemed to change color from different angles.


Carved from marble - are they still doing that?  


And I thought carving in soft clay was a challenge!


The creation below is a 3-D photo collage.  All the photos have been individually trimmed and attached on top of each other with unseen spacers or mounting tape (I'm guessing).


Great shadow box effect.


As I headed over to Heritage Square, I saw this fire ladder display for "Fire Prevention Day" at the Fair.  I had already passed a fire extinguisher demonstration that took me back to my Foster Wheeler days.  Because the company managed a power plant, all employees, even office personnel like me, were given safety training each year.  We were trained how to put out a fire with the correct extinguisher, not an easy task if you don't practice ahead of time.



It was really warming up and getting crowded, so I ate my Tom Thumb Mini Donuts and found a shaded bench.  There are several museums set up on the north side of Heritage Square, and several wood carvings like the one below depicting a long-time Fair worker. 


Another note:  August 24th and this tree is really starting to turn!


Everyone knows our State Fair signals the end of summer, but we have a lot of warm weather yet to come.  For more pics from past years, click on the "State fair" label at right.

No comments: